Boca Raton Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Riding a motorcycle is an enjoyable hobby—but a dangerous one. Statistics show that around 8,800 people are involved in motorcycle accidents every year in Florida, and some of them are injured quite severely. A motorcycle offers far less protection than a passenger sedan, and many bikers are thrown clear of their bikes in a collision, striking nearby objects like trees, cars, and fire hydrants.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, we have your back. The Boca Raton motorcycle accident lawyers at Smith & Ball Injury Law have helped many clients get back on their feet by obtaining favorable settlements on their behalf.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents tend to be very violent. A biker or passenger can suffer serious friction or blunt trauma injuries, including:
- Abrasions and friction burns
- Fractures, including pelvic fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Brain bleeding
- Back injuries
- Nerve damage, including “biker’s arm”
- Spinal cord injury
Wearing a helmet can reduce some of the more serious head injuries by about 70%. But some accidents are so violent that a person will still suffer serious harm, and hundreds of people die every year in Florida from these collisions.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can happen anywhere, and there is no one type of accident. Often a careless or aggressive motorist is at fault:
- Collisions at intersections. Motorists waiting to make a left-hand turn either don’t see the motorcyclist or can’t judge their speed properly. In any event, the motorist pulls directly in front of the motorcyclist or slams into them.
- Rear end collisions. A motor vehicle can come up behind a motorcyclist and slam into them, particularly when stopped at a stop sign or red light.
- Head on collisions. A motorist might drift into the other lane or hit a motorcyclist when passing.
- Open door accidents. A passenger in a parked car might open a door without checking if anyone is approaching from behind. The biker slams into the opened door.
Sometimes a defect on the road can lead to a crash. Motorcyclists are uniquely vulnerable to potholes, defective shoulders, and seams in the road that would not bother a passenger sedan. However, these defects could cause a motorcyclist to flip over or slide off the road.
Compensation for Motorcycle Accidents
Receiving adequate compensation can be a challenge following a wreck. Our clients often have high medical expenses because their injuries tend to be serious. They might incur tens of thousands of dollars in medical care and require ongoing rehabilitation or additional surgeries. Many clients cannot work because of their injuries, which causes a dizzying drop in income.
The pain, inconvenience, and emotional distress that accompany a physical injury should not be discounted, either. Many clients have their lives turned completely upside down following their crashes and experience chronic pain, depression, and anxiety. Fortunately, Florida law allows them to be compensated for these non-economic losses, as well.
Contact One of Our Boca Raton Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Smith & Ball Injury Law has tackled many of the most complicated personal injury cases in Boca Raton and surrounding areas. If you have been injured, or if a loved one was killed in a motorcycle crash, we can help. Call us to schedule a free consultation.